The Kronberg Painters’ Colony is one of more than 40 artists’ colonies throughout Europe which emerged in the early 19th century as a countermovement to industrialisation. It was founded in 1858 when the painters Anton Burger and Jakob Fürchtegott Dielmann began painting outdoors in the open countryside in protest against traditional academy painting.
More than 100 artists spent time working in the Taunus town, including famous names such as Wilhelm Trübner, Hans Thoma, Carl Morgenstern, Philipp Rumpf, and Otto Scholderer. Later artists include Nelson G. Kinsley, Philipp Franck and Fritz Wucherer.
The Kronberg Painters’ Colony Foundation has set itself the task of preserving the cultural heritage of the Colony and making it accessible to a broad public. The exhibition rooms in the Villa Winter, Heinrich-Winter-Strasse 4a have been open to visitors since 2018.
Wed 15:00 -19:00
Sat 12:00 – 19:00
Sun, public holidays 11:00 – 18:00
Heinrich-Winter-Straße 4 a
61476 Kronberg im Taunus
- 06173 92 94 90