The Opel Zoo is located amidst the scenic slopes of the Vordertaunus (Anterior Taunus) between Kronberg and Königstein. It provides a unique setting for around 1600 animals from over 220 species, mainly from Africa, Asia and Europe. These include the only elephants in Hesse, giraffes, zebras, meerkats, red pandas, cheetahs, kangaroos, and many more besides.
The zoo's founder Dr. h.c. Georg von Opel aimed to show the animals in social groups in near-natural compounds and, as far as possible, without visible boundaries between humans and animals. Circular paths and nature trails on the zoo’s 27 hectares provide unobstructed views of the diversely designed compounds, which would otherwise only be possible in the wild.
Another attraction is the spacious enclosure for spectacled penguins, where zoo visitors can watch the birds swim and dive.
Around 1600 animals from over 220 species
- Landscape zoo with spacious animal enclosures on 27 hectares of land
- Paved paths, also suitable for wheelchairs and strollers, but partly steep terrain
- One of the largest elephant enclosures in Germany
- Petting zoo for up-close experiences
- Wide range of educational zoo activities
- Large adventure playgrounds
- Pony and camel rides for children
- The Sambesi zoo restaurant with large sun terraces
- Barbecue huts and sites bookable free of charge
- Zoo shop with souvenirs and books
- Dogs are allowed on a short leash
Winter: 9.00 to 17.00
Summer: 9.00 to 18.00
June/July/August: 9.00 to19.00
SPECIAL OPENING HOURS
24 December: 9.00 to 15.00
31 December: 9.00 to 15.00
1 January: 10.00 to 17.00
For groups, every 20th person has free admission.
Children up to 12 years of age are only permitted entry to the Opel Zoo when accompanied by an adult!
Am Opel-Zoo 3
61476 Kronberg im Taunus
- 06173 3259030